The Rogers Garden Apartments housing complex was home to 180 units of public housing located in the Singletary neighborhood of Bradenton, Florida. Built in 1953 to house a segregated African American population, for years it was a tight-knit community. Due to its location and poor drainage, the site was plagued with severe flooding up to four times a year, with as much as 24 inches of rain annually, and over time the housing conditions became untenable.
After several attempts to secure public funding to revitalize the property, the Bradenton Housing Authority secured a $21 million HOPE VI grant in 1999 with the help of the Telesis Corporation. From 2003 to 2010 the complex was redeveloped as a mixed-income community of 438 units, of which 388 are rental and 100 are homeownership, for a total development cost of $87 million.
Designed in the style of Caribbean, Mediterranean, and North Carolina homes, the new neighborhood was planned around a village green and community center, which encouraged the re-establishment of close neighborly interactions. Porches and balconies allow residents to talk across, watch over, and enjoy their beautified streets.